Barbecue season is upon us. Warm weather, friends and family, and copious amounts of traditionally unhealthy dishes… Not on our watch! We’ve curated 5 healthy dishes to bring to your 4th of July barbecue. They’re all takes on “normal” barbecue dishes, but way healthier! Your loved ones will thank you for a tasty, healthy break from the chips and cookies. Each one can be made in about 30 minutes or less, because we know summer is almost always busier than you originally plan.
1. Yumbutter & Dippers
I mean, this just makes sense…right? You can go sweet and/or savory with the Yumbutter vehicles here and are sure to please even the pickiest of taste buds.
- Any Yumbutter potion (we recommend choosing at least 2 because #variety)
- Dippers of your choice. Some ideas we love include: apples, bananas, crackers, celery, carrots
- Arrange dippers beautifully on a platter
- Either squeeze the Yumbutter pouch into a serving container, or simply place the pouch next to the platter! This allows guests to get creative, and admire the functionality that is nut butter in a pouch.
2. Pear, Walnut, and Date Salad
This salad is a great way to get some greens in on a day filled with many other foods. The dates and walnuts are a perfect “pear” of sweet and salty. While the recipe includes a vinaigrette, feel free to use your own favorite dressing or recipe if you’d prefer!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup organic olive oil
- 1 teaspoon organic honey or organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- 6 ounces organic salad greens of your choice
- 1/3 cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 7 Medjool dates, pitted and thinly sliced
- 2 organic pears, sliced
- 1/3 cup organic blue cheese (can omit if you’re dairy free!)
- Mix all vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl, adjusting to taste as desired!
- Toast the walnuts in a skillet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes
- Mix all salad ingredients in a medium serving bowl, and top with vinaigrette when ready to serve
Adapted from Cookie and Kate
3. Five-Minute Chocolate Mousse
What’s better than a creamy, delicious chocolate mousse? One that has clean ingredients and takes 5 minutes to make, duh. This mousse is the perfect summer dessert for barbecues and dinner parties alike. It takes 5 minutes, and is all made in a blender. Hello, easy clean up!
- 2 cups organic coconut cream
- 1/4 cup organic almond milk
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- handful of ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in a blender, and blend on high until smooth
- Top with cacao nibs or fresh, organic berries, and enjoy!
Adapted from Food Babe
4. Watermelon Fruit Pizza
This is a take on the traditional fruit pizza, swapping the cookie dough crust with fresh watermelon! Much healthier, and super cute and festive too!
- 1/2 cup organic greek yogurt (can sub a non-dairy yogurt!)
- 1 teaspoon organic honey
- 1/4 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 2 large, round slices of watermelon (from the middle of the melon)
- 2/3 cup organic strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup organic blackberries, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves (optional)
- Mix yogurt, honey, and vanilla in a bowl
- Spread half the yogurt mix on each watermelon slice
- Top with berries and mint, slice into pieces, and serve!
Adapted from Eating Well
5. Dairy-Free Potato Salad
Potato salad is a barbecue staple, and this recipe swaps the dairy for apple cider vinegar! There are many benefits to apple cider vinegar, and this is a great way to get them while not compromising taste. 🙂
- 12 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 12 small red potatoes
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 medium dill pickles, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Wash, chop, and boil the potatoes until tender
- Drain potatoes, add to mixing bowl with all the ingredients, folding the eggs in at the end
Adapted from Rachael’s Good Eats
Bonus! Check out our recipes page for more ideas including cocktails, desserts, and healthy snacks. 🙂
Leave a Comment:
- Meal Prepping Kid Lunches September 15, 2017
- Cold Showers: Change Your Life and Revolutionize Your Morning Routine September 11, 2017
- Setting Intentions for the New Season September 5, 2017
- 7 Ways You Didn’t Think to Use Yumbutter August 23, 2017
- Outdoor Workouts for Summer to Keep you Cool and Looking Hot August 23, 2017