This gem of a recipe was put together by our friends at I Heart Keenwah. Check out their original recipe Right Here. I Heart Keenwah makes tasty little quinoa puffs and clusters. They are chock full of protein, and are vegan and gluten free. As far as on the go snacking goes, we make a pretty cute couple.
1 cup of dried dates (Medjool dates are best but supermarket dates will also work)
1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
1/2 cup of pepitas
1/2 cup of cacao powder (not cocoa powder, cacao powder is cold-pressed and more nutrient dense – spring for the good stuff)
1 7oz pouch of Yumbutter Superfood Organic Sunflower Butter
1/2 cup of puffed quinoa (optional; this item is a little hard to find in stores but there are sources online)
pinch of sea salt
1) In a food processor, pulse the sunflower seeds and pepitas into a fine paste.
2) Add dried dates (pits removed) to nut mixture and grind.
3) Add cacao powder and sunflower butter and continue to grind. A crumbly dough texture will be achieved.
4) Transfer to mixing bowl, add salt and puffed quinoa and combine by hand. In the palm of your hand form 1-inch diameter balls.
5) Dust them with some extra cacao powder and arrange on cookie sheet. If dough is too dry, add a splash of (nut)milk.
6) Refrigerate truffles on cookie sheet for 1 hour until ready to eat. Recipe yields 24 truffles.