It’s a catchy phrase, sure. But what does it really mean when we say that we feed a child in need for every pouch or jar we sell?
The traditional buy one, give one model is familiar to many of us: buy a certain item and another similar item is donated to someone in need. Think Toms or Warby Parker. This model is a great way to do something good for the world while getting something you already need, and it has the added benefit of raising awareness around particular issues that consumers might not otherwise be aware of.
For us, BuyOne|FeedOne takes on a slightly different meaning. While our nut butters are indeed a nutrient-dense snack, we wanted to use Yumbutter to make the greatest possible impact on overcoming malnutrition – which meant rethinking the traditional model. After exploring many avenues, we settled upon Primeros Pasos, a non-profit that aims to improve the quality of life of the rural communities of the Palajunoj Valley of Quetzaltenango, Guatemala through integrated health education projects and access to medical services. After learning more about the services and impact the organization was having, Yumbutter decided to partner closely with Primeros Pasos by donating a significant portion of our revenue to support their programs.
Why Primeros Pasos?
Yumbutter’s mission has always been to bring holistic nourishment to all – both through the potions we create and through our social mission. Thus, it only made sense to partner with a non-profit whose mission to nourish the world aligned with ours.
The rural region where Primeros Pasos operates is home to over 15,000 people, but only has one medical clinic with one doctor and one nurse. This not only means extremely limited access to medical services, but also a lack of education regarding proper nutrition and sanitation. Primeros Pasos programs combine direct healthcare assistance and education to ensure a lasting impact on the communities they serve. When you purchase Yumbutter, you’re helping to support these programs:
- Affordable medical and dental care
- A Women’s Clinic for health screenings and OB care
- Healthy Schools Program
- Child and parent workshops on safe hygiene practices, nutrition, and parasite prevention
- Mobile clinics
- Nutritional recuperation for the most chronically malnourished children and pregnant mothers in the community
Thanks to all of you, Yumbutter has been able to increase our support of Primeros Pasos every year as we’ve grown. While Primeros Pasos grows awareness and develops leaders within the communities where it works, we’re extremely grateful to play a part in growing the reach of their programming. While we plan to partner with Primeros Pasos for the long run, we also hope to work with other non-profits that align with our mission moving forward.
Leave a Comment:
- What is a Superfood? What Makes a Superfood Super? March 23, 2017
- Supercharge Your Morning Cup of Joe March 23, 2017
- Exercising and Eating Healthy While Traveling March 23, 2017
- What is Social Entrepreneurship? Who are some of the most successful Social Entrepreneurs? March 23, 2017
- 5 Ways to Stay Active at Work (Even if You Sit All Day) March 23, 2017